If you need immediate urgent help call 999. In non-emergency situations you can also contact the NTU Security team, available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, on 0115 848 2222.
It can be very distressing if you have been accused of bullying, harassment, or sexual misconduct. It’s important to be aware that the University will not make assumptions and will not consider a person ‘at fault’ until an allegation has been investigated. All those involved in a complaint will be treated fairly and offered advice and support. 

It’s good practice to take time to reflect about the other person’s perception of your behaviour. Even if you feel that your behaviour was well-intentioned, your words or actions may have hurt or offended another person, and this may be thought of as an opportunity for learning, or perhaps for a change of approach.

•  Listen carefully to the complaint and to the particular concerns expressed.

•  Stop the behaviour that’s been complained about straight away; if you are deemed to have bullied or harassed somebody after their objection to your behaviour was made known to you, this will be seen as a more serious issue.

•  You are likely to need advice and support to understand the complaint: find a way to discuss the matter with someone you trust, such as a manager or tutor, Student Support Services, or HR, who will provide you with appropriate support.

•  If you feel you are being unjustly accused, students can book an appointment with a trained mediator through the NTSU Information & Advice Service.  Supported informal discussions involving you, the person alleging ill-treatment, and a trained mediator may enable you to discuss the issues and find a way forward. 

What happens when something is reported? 

When a report is made about a student or colleague, there are procedures that will be followed. The reporting party may wish to speak to a harassment adviser to discuss their options for informal or formal resolution. 

If informal resolution is pursued then the reported person will be contacted by an appropriate manager, or tutor in the situation to try and resolve the matter. 

If the matter proceeds formally, the reported behaviour of a student will be investigated under the Student Code of Behaviour, and the reported behaviour of a colleague will be investigated under the Staff Grievance Procedure. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened